Gadhimai Temple (Nepali: गढीमाई मन्दिर) is a temple of the sacred goddesses of power, in Hindu religion. The temple is situated in Mahagadhimai Municipality in Bara District of south central Nepal, though the term usually refers to Gadhimai festival, the world’s biggest animal sacrifice conducted at the Gadhimai temple area in central Terai of Nepal. It is 7 kms south-east of Kalaiya and 160kms south of Nepal’s capital Kathmandu.
Gadhimai Festival occurs every 5 years in the premises of Gadhimai Temple. Animals are sacrificed as part of the Hindu festival, with the hope that the sacrifice will lead to the fulfillment of wishes by the goddess. The ritual began at dawn with a ceremonial “pancha bali” or the sacrifice of five animals, comprising a rat, a goat, a rooster, a pig and a pigeon. It is estimated that 300,000 – 500,000 animals were killed during the period of sacrifice in 2009 while 5 million people visited Gadhimai during the festival
Simraungadh, Simraongarh or Simroungarh (/ˈsiːmraʊnɡɜːr/, Devanagari: सिम्रौनगढ) is historically a very important city. It was the ancient capital of the Tirhut Kingdom founded by Karnat Kshatriya King Nanyadeva in 1097. Presently it is a municipality of Nepal, located in Bara District, Province No. 2. The municipality was created in 2014 by agglomerating the Village Development Committees of Amritganj, Golaganj, Hariharpur & Uchidih and later on expanded to include Bhagwanpur, Kachorwa, Dewapur-Teta, and Bishunpur.
The city finds mention in the travel accounts of a Tibetan monk and pilgrim, Dharmasvamin (1236) when he was on his way back to Nepal and Tibet, an Italian Missionary traveler, Cassiano Beligatti (1740), Colonel James Kirkpatrick (1801) on his mission to Nepal and later used in 1835 by British ethnologist Brian Houghton Hodgson.
The city is located along the border between India and Nepal. It lies 90 km south of Nepal’s capital, Kathmandu, and 26 km east of Kalaiya.
Some sites to visit in Simraungadh
Pillar of the Rajhbhawan
This temple is located in the Golaganj Village of Simraungadh Municipality, Ward No 7. It was built by Late King Grivanyudhha Bir Bikram Shahdev. It covers an area of 3380 square metres.
This pond lies in the Golaganj Village of Simraungadh Municipality, Ward No 7. It was built by King Shiva Singh in the 12th Century and is expanded in the area of 47,408.41 square metres.
Barewa Durbar (Palace) lies adjacent and north to the hotel. It’s a very historic site. Its construction works started around 1910 A.D. and was completed by 1960 A.D. This palace (Durbar) was built by Raja Mohan Bikram Shah and covered an area of two Bighas (13,545.26 square meters). Currently, the building covers ten Kathas (3,386.31 square metres).
Baragadhi is located at Umjan Village ward nunmber 4, which is 13 KM east of Kalaiya. It occupies an area of approximately 5 Bighas (33,863.15 square meters). Every year on the ocassion of Bibaha Panchami a big fair is organized here. It is speculated that the district name “Bara” has been named after this Baragadhi.
Parsa National Park (Parsa Wildlife Reserve)
Parsa National Park is a protected area in the Inner Terai lowlands of south-central Nepal. It covers an area of 627.39 km2 (242.24 sq mi) in the Parsa, Makwanpur and Bara districts and ranges in altitude from 435 m (1,427 ft) to 950 m (3,120 ft) in the Siwalik Hills. It was established as a wildlife reserve in 1984. A bufferzone declared in 2005 comprises 285.3 km2 (110.2 sq mi).In 2015, the protected area has been extended by 128 km2 (49 sq mi).Since 2017, it has the status of a National Park. In the north of the protected area the Rapti River and Siwalik Hills form a natural boundary to human settlements. In the east it extends up to the Hetauda – Birgunj highway. In the south, a forest roads demarcates the boundary. Adjacent to the west is Chitawan National Park.
Barewa Durbar Hotel is approximately 500 metres west from the 4 lane Pilau (in the north) to Manawat-Matiarwa (in the south) highway in Kalaiya. One can travel from the hotel eastward and take this highway north to Pilau. From Pilau the Mahendra Highway (East-West Highway) can take you westward to the Parsa Wild Life Reserve.